The Adventures of Captain Karat

Someday I'm going to be a rapper.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Skinnamarinky Dinky Dink

Mira, the gorgeous photographer/socialite/fashionista tagged me in a very interesting note about herself today where she revealed her love for Sharon, Lois, and Bram's Elephant show and it instantly hurtled me back in time to my days of sitting in front of the tv (which NEVER had clear reception... not for my first 15 years of my life did I have clear television) and singing along to SKINNAMARINKY DINKY DINKKKKKKK SKINNAMARINKY DOOOO



What an awesome show it was. It made me remember all kinds of other brilliant shows I used to watch as a kid.

Oh oh.

WATCH OUT!

HERE COMES THE 80'S RETRO TV SHOW INTRO/OUTRO VIDEOS c/o YOUTUBE!

First comes Fraggle Rock, which has such a... hmmm, lack of a better word... ROCKING theme song.



Next up, Gummi Bears! I used to have a crush on the blonde one. I guess my thing for short haired girls started young, eh? eh?



What about Duck Tales? D-D-D-Danger lurks behind you! There's a stranger out to find you! Actually ah, ACTUALLY AH... why are these theme songs so damn good? Just listen to the quality of the vocals, the instrumentation, everything. These were really good songs. What the hell has happened to the quality TV show theme song? Gone going gone everything gone giveadamn.



StarCom was underrated but overawesome. The big "technological breakthrough" of this sci-fi series used to be... MAGNETS! The toys were so FUCKING COOL.



I will play a linking game with the next three shows. First we'll start with BraveStarr, where both the heroes were in fact minorities. Marshall BraveStarr was Native American and his horse, if i remember correctly, was supposed to be a black guy. Kinda like a Samuel L. Jackson, but equine. So anyway, cowboy/space age, but still very rooted in the spaghetti western kinda feel. The bad guys in this show were really scary.



Followed by SABRE RIDER AND THE STAR SHERIFFS! Another brilliant show. Less free range, more space age, but still very cowboy nonetheless. Here you start to see the unicolor uniform theme starting to show up.



Followed by the ultimate in the unicolor uniform theme, and now not western at all, but totally wild and animalistic and and and... I'LL FORM THE HEAD!



and and and whattabout VEHICLE VOLTRON? Who did you like better, butter? Actually I liked the lions. They were bad-ass... but Vehicle Voltron was a close second.



The ultimate vehicle show though, had to be MASK. This is another great song.



The Visionaries were shortlived, but it was a bloody good cartoon and the intro is really rocking. I remember two of the chants...

"Mist filled pits, dark, dank, unclear. Fill all before me with frost-bitten FEAR!"

"Three suns aligned, pour forth thier light. Fill this archers bow with MIGHT!"



and last, but not least, because Obama is being inaugurated right now... i wanted to remind all of you to, POWER EXTREME.



I'm sure you've got millions more. care to remind me?

K

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhaahha.... great to see u blogging again!!! CAptain Planet was always a big fav, and it had a super positive ecological theme, hence the name I guess...and the theme song lyrics were the best ever; Captain Planet gunna take pollution down to ZERO!!!!

sometimes in my tiny micro cosmos of a world i believe that i may actually be captain planet, which is highly unlikely as he a cartoon character, but it is nice to dream.

altogether now

"EARTH!"
"FIRE!"
"WIND!"
"WATER!"
"HEART!"

"Go Planet!"

"By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero

He's our powers magnified
And he's fighting on the planet's side

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero

Gonna help him put asunder
Bad guys who like to loot and plunder

"You'll pay for this Captain Planet!"

We're the Planeteers
You can be one too
'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do!

Looting and polluting is not the way
Hear what Captain Planet has to say!

"The Power is Yours!"

5:38 AM  
Blogger Captain Karat said...

do you recycle at home, captain guy?

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyy, what about 80s cartoon diva -Jem and greenie creature Smurf?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Captain Karat said...

maria - now your talking! Jem and the Holograms was a fixture of my Saturday morning schedule... and Papa Smurf was bad-ass!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home