The Adventures of Captain Karat

Someday I'm going to be a rapper.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Old Friends

I ran into an old friend of mine online today.

Kelsey.

I knew her from my freshman year @ Brandeis University in Boston. Initially I passed her off as a stupid white girl who hung out with frat idiots, but as the year went on I learned that she was actually quite a delight. When she started dating my brother from another mother, I knew she was kosher and opened up to her. She's more than kosher. She's an entire kosher feast.

Friendships are best when the two parties don't keep in touch at all and ignore each other on buddy lists for months on end. One day someone decides to say hello and you just pick up where you left off. Conversation flows easily, actual care and consideration for the life of the other is expressed, and views are shared on where life is headed.

It really beats the nonsense of keeping in touch for no reason other than to keep in touch. Our lives are filled with so much mundane nonsense, but unless you have the context to truly understand said mundane nonsense, it quickly becomes drivel. I can't take much drivel (even though I dispense so much of it for absolutely no charge whatsoever).

I miss my friends from all over the world, but more often than not, have no idea what to say to them. I miss having context with them. I suppose having a blog is a way of making mundane nonsense optional (because while it quickly becomes drivel, it still plays an important part in any relationship. Not every interaction needs to be mind blowing.

So this is to Kelsey... and for everyone who thinks I've become a laconic, rude, and selfish bastard... well, I'm sorry.

I guess we just need to keep in touch more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said that better if I'd tried all day. All week even.

It's amazing the satisfaction you get from looking at a friend on your buddy list that you know with just a speedy double-click you could spill your guts or laugh with delight with. So much enjoyment that you don't actually even need to venture over with your mouse to that buddy's name all that often. peezokoobz.

Koobz, today may be a 4, but I'm wishing you a lifetime of 10s.

Much love,
"The friend formerly known as the stupid white girl."

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that I can still pick up a conversation with you even though I don't even have instant messenger or a buddy list on which to click.

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home